Having a great smile can make a huge difference to our confidence and impact on our friendships, relationships and success at work. Therefore, it is of little surprise that the number of people seeking dental implant treatment as a way of replacing missing teeth or improving their smile is drastically increasing.
With a success rate of over 96% for the fixtures element of the procedure, dental implants are the most successful implant surgery across both medical and dental fields. However, there are a percentage of cases that are aesthetically or otherwise compromised. As such, it is highly advisable that patients who are interested in dental implant restorations do thorough research and find a dentist who has mastered both the technical and aesthetic elements of the procedure.
What aesthetic elements need to be taken into consideration by your dental implant surgeon?
On the surface it may look like the only aesthetic element that your surgeon needs to worry about it the color of the replacement tooth/crown. In fact, there are a variety of considerations that need to be made in order to give you an optimal natural smile. These include:
- The shape and size of the lips of the patient
- Whether the patient has a high, medium or low smile line (this will affect how much of the restoration will be on show)
- The health and condition of the gums (whether there is inflammation etc.)
- Whether the gums are symmetrical or asymmetrical
- The shape, color and size of the natural teeth
- Whether there are any overlaps in the teeth
- What type of occlusion there is
- The spacing between the natural teeth
The aim of dental implants is to restore or improve your smile in such a way that it looks completely natural. At the end of your treatment, you should have teeth that function normally and look amazing. Find out more about receiving high quality aesthetically stunning dental implants by speaking to a doctor today.